Cal Shakes: Imagination & Discovery
OFFTA, now AOK, funding helped support California Shakespeare Theater (Cal Shakes) residencies that partnered trained Teaching Artists with classroom teachers to integrate works of Shakespeare and other theater arts-based instruction into core curriculum at these Oakland schools.
Residency lessons addressed state standards in various subject areas, as driven by the goals of each classroom teacher, including English-Language Arts and History-Social Science.
- 7th graders performed original monologues inspired by students’ interviews of extended family members;
- 3rd-graders created and performed a script based on writing assignments during their study of Native American societies;
- 10th graders wrote poetry;
- 9th graders learned and performed scenes from a Shakespearean play and,
- 4th and 5th graders created staged pictures of major plot points of plays for a Shakespearean “comic book.”