All proceeds from this auction will fund arts education grants for programs reaching students in under-resourced Oakland public schools.
The Pop Art Continuum auction has been built around two limited-edition prints by Mel Ramos from his private collection— generously donated by the Mel and Leta Ramos Family Foundation.
Mel Ramos is one of the founders and luminaries of the American Pop Art movement. At the first U.S. Pop Art exhibition in 1963, Pop Art, USA, Mel Ramos, Andy Warhol, and Roy Lichtenstein cemented the American movement.
Radiating out from that first “Pow!” moment to today, Pop Art Continuum features exhilarating works from renowned Pop, Graphic, Graffiti, and Street Artists.
The Mel and Leta Ramos Family Foundation is a non-profit family foundation focused on supporting arts education programs such as scholarships, teaching artist opportunities, visual arts curriculum, youth projects, and exhibitions by and for youth. Founded by family members of the late Mel and Leta Ramos, the Foundation’s work is in keeping with the lifelong passion of Mel and Leta Ramos to support the visual arts and visual artists through art-making, teaching, and creating learning opportunities for youth and future arts leaders.
About Our Organization
Arts for Oakland Kids (AOK), is a 25-year-old, 501(c)(3) Arts Justice fund. AOK provides community-funded grants to teaching artists and arts organizations for hands-on arts education programs in Oakland’s most under-resourced public schools.
AOK’s Arts Justice work is built on the belief that access to arts education shouldn’t be based on wealth, race, or zipcode. Unfortunately, due to budget cuts in the 1990s, Oakland students have two-tiered access to arts education. 20% of Oakland’s public school students receive arts education 3-5 times per week in multiple art forms; these students are predominantly white. The other 80% have minimal or no arts education and are almost entirely students of color. Arts Justice will be achieved when all Oakland public school students are receiving the benefits of a consistent, world-class arts education.
AOK works to address this inequity with targeted grants to teaching artists and arts organizations to provide hands-on, in-school, weekly programs. One of the ways that we raise funds for these grants is by holding quarterly, online art auctions.
All proceeds from this auction will directly fund grants.
Pop Art Continuum
An account is required to Bid or Buy. After you click Bid/Buy, hit the “Log In” link and register.
The first 5 people to donate or bid/buy $200 or more will receive a free copy of Mel Ramos: The Definitive Catalogue Raisonné of Original Prints with our profound thanks!
Richly illustrated in color, Mel Ramos: The Definitive Catalogue Raisonné of Original Prints includes two essays by art historians and curators Claire Breukel and Jeanette Zwingenberger, who analyze Ramos’ lifelong artistic engagement with the female nude.
From a very early stage in his artistic career, Mel Ramos (1935–2018) explored printed editions as part of his oeuvre. The earliest of these were still in an abstract expressionist idiom, but the artist began engaging with the medium in earnest in the mid-1960s, as the pop style for which he is famed took shape. Pop art’s inspiration in consumer goods and mass media naturally led to experiments with commercial printing methods such as silk-screening, and Ramos was one of its foremost practitioners.
This catalog is an invaluable resource for researchers, collectors and aficionados alike.