Thank you for your interest in applying for a grant from Arts for Oakland Kids. The dates of our funding season have changed.
Our funding season is now December 1 – January 21st. Grant recipients for the 2019-2020 year will be announced March 1st, 2019.
The following information is being provided to help you apply for program funding. If you have questions about the application process or any special requests, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arts for Oakland Kids (AOK) awards grants of up to $5,000 for hands-on arts education programs in Oakland (California) public schools. Partial grants are also considered. We may also consider one-time funding for specific arts-related needs.
Our application is now available! Your online application form must be submitted and all supporting documents must be received by January 21st, 2019.
To be considered, programs must:
- Provide hands-on arts education programs in which children participate in the direct experience of creating art.
- Be supported by the school principal with active participation of a school liaison to ensure the program’s success.
- Be conducted at a school (or schools) or at an off-site location in conjunction with a school.
Arts for Oakland Kids does NOT require that grant funds be paid through a 501(c)(3) agent. You may use a 501(c)(3) organization as a fiscal agent, so long as that organization does not keep any AOK grant funds as fees, commissions, percentages, administrative costs, or overhead expense.
If your organization or fiscal agent is a qualified IRS 501(c)(3) entity, submit the documentation in your grant proposal.
To help you understand if your proposed program is eligible for an Arts for Oakland Kids’ grant, we’ve outlined the basic criteria we use in program evaluation. If you have questions about whether your program meets AOK’s funding criteria, please contact us.
- AOK only funds programs in which each child actively participates in creating art.
- No minimum number of students is required. We evaluate programs individually based on general merit.
- AOK does fund programs located at a site other than a public school (such as a community center or private school) provided they serve the target population of K-12 students enrolled in under-served Oakland public schools.
- AOK does fund program activities that directly benefit the students involved in the arts education program, including art supplies, artist’s salary, costume materials, supplementary educational materials, etc.
- AOK will fund a program one time within a school year. If your program stretches over more than one semester, apply for the program based on the entire school year.
- AOK may fund the same program at the same school for three consecutive years every five years, at the end of which a one-school-year break may be imposed before the program administrator may again apply for funding.
- AOK requires the program agent to submit an AOK-supplied Final Report form within 30 days of the conclusion of the program period. Final Reports should include a detailed summary of the program and 3-5 images, recordings, or other media that show participants involved in the program. The final report and all accompanying images, recordings, or other materials may be submitted electronically and become the property of Arts for Oakland Kids. The funded program and its agents grant non-exclusive copyright ownership to Arts for Oakland Kids and its partners to reproduce such report photographs and other program materials for marketing purposes as agreed to in the Funding Agreement.
- AOK requires compliance with our Media Opt-Out policy prior to funding.
- AOK does not fund OUSD teachers’ pay, transportation costs, field trips, food, non-program-related supplies, etc.
Read through the information on our website to help you write your grant proposal. Our Programs and About Us pages will give you an idea of the types of programs we fund. Applications must be submitted online.
Required supporting documents must be emailed as PDFs or sent to our mailing address postmarked by January 21st.
You must submit your online application no later than January 21st. Please be sure you’ve finished the entire application before you submit it. Once you have submitted your online application, you cannot edit it further.
After you complete the online application, we strongly advise you to print a completed copy for your records.
We require the following supporting documents. These documents must to be postmarked or emailed by January 21st.
- Narrative of the program with stated goals and learning objectives
- Program artist/applicant resume(s)
- Letter of Support or Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) from the school principal
- Organizational budget
- Line-item program budget
If you choose to mail, send your supporting documents to:
Arts for Oakland Kids
3871 Piedmont Avenue #11
Oakland CA 94611
If you choose to email the documents, send them as email attachments to email@example.com. The email subject line should include your program name. Attachments must be in PDF format.
Once your application and supporting documents are submitted, a member of AOK’s Board (your assigned board liaison) may contact you to discuss the proposed program. If we determine that the proposed arts education program appears to be consistent with AOK’s mission and guiding principles, you may be asked to arrange a site visit at the location(s) where the program will take place.
Late or incomplete Requests for Funding will not be reviewed.
By March 1, AOK’s Executive Director will inform you of the Board’s decision and discuss your next steps. Good luck and we look forward to hearing from you!
Thank you again for your interest in Arts for Oakland Kids!
If you have questions about whether your program qualifies for grant funding, please contact us! We are more than happy to assist you. You can call our voicemail phone number at (510) 488-3036, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.